Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Desire for Sameness: A Prayer

Not my prayer. Well, it is my prayer, but I didn't write it. I'm in the final weeks of my first year at MHGS, and that, combined with living in two places (it was supposed to be easier), along with wedding deadlines arising has me longing for some consistency. One place I've been able to find this has been coming back to routine--things I have memorized, whether it be an action, thought, or even a prayer. Everyday at MHGS at 9, 12, 3, and 6 (and even further, I'm sure), the bell tolls at MHGS, calling us to an awareness of God's presence. It's a call to a practice of fixed-hour prayer, and I've been loving how it's drawn me out of my chaos lately.

Here is a prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi that has stayed with me since I heard it first, and I hope that it is the next thing I put to memory, to steady me in times like these (I bought it on a little card at the St. Placid bookstore!):

Sunset in Greece, 2008


A Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon,
Where there is doubt, faith,
Where there is despair, hope,
Where there is darkness, light,
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may no so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved, as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive--
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Amen.
When that bell tolls tomorrow, I'll be practicing this verse. And if I can't remember it, I'll be saying the Lord's Prayer. Never gets old. Good one, Jesus.

In Progress,
Lacy

No comments:

Post a Comment