Saturday, June 4, 2011

Signature Dish: Exhibit A

I had some friends growing up whose mother made the best chocolate chip cookies. They were so great that we always requested she make them for any get together we had, which in a small town means a lot of get togethers. I've always wanted to have something that people always wanted me to make for their get togethers as well: a signature dish, per say. I've been working really hard on my homemade pizza--from the dough to the sauce and beyond (many thanks to Jamie Oliver)--but for the lighter affair, I like to consider my signature dish homemade salsa, picante style.

Courtesy of thepioneerwoman.com


Now to give credit where credit is due, I originally got the amazing and simple salsa recipe from my friend from New Life Ranch, Teresa McKinney, but I eventually lost it (or rather, it fell between the refrigerator and the counter, never to be retrieved again). I remembered most of it, but went scouring on the internet to fill in the blanks. After all, this was one great find--it was delicious and made plenty for a party.

In sweeps the Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, to the rescue. Her Restaurant Style Salsa recipe is practically the same, with amazing pictures to boot. I live out the jalapeƱo, because it's just not my fave, but I follow the rest to a "T"! So I do confess that it's more of a secondhand signature dish, but don't tell anyone.

However, I hereby give you permission to make it yours too. Here it is, straight from the Pioneer Woman, pictures and all:


Restaurant Style Salsa


Ingredients

  • 1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes With Juice
  • 2 cans (10 Ounce) Rotel (diced Tomatoes And Green Chilies)
  • ¼ cups Chopped Onion
  • 1 clove Garlic, Minced
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Quartered And Sliced Thin
  • ¼ teaspoons Sugar
  • ¼ teaspoons Salt
  • ¼ teaspoons Ground Cumin
  • ½ cups Cilantro (more To Taste!)
  • ½ whole Lime Juice

Preparation Instructions

Note: this is a very large batch. Recommend using a 12-cup food processor, or you can process the ingredients in batches and then mix everything together in a large mixing bowl.
Combine whole tomatoes, Rotel, onion, jalapeno, garlic, sugar, salt, cumin, lime juice, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Pulse until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like—I do about 10 to 15 pulses. Test seasonings with a tortilla chip and adjust as needed.
Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour. Serve with tortilla chips or cheese nachos.
_______________________________
Don't forget to leave some at home for you! I'll be eating mine everyday until it's gone.
In Progress,
Lacy

No comments:

Post a Comment