Thursday, June 16, 2011

Siesta: A Practice

The wonderful reference tool Wikipedia defines Siesta "a short nap taken in the early afternoon, often after the midday meal." Talk about daily practices! Where has the Siesta been all of my life? If I'm taking time to pause in the morning and pause in the evening--for Sabbath, for prayer, in order to breathe--then shouldn't I be pausing midday as well? It's the first thing I want to do and the last thing I'm willing to. My "go, go, go" mentality doesn't allow for breaks--even if I break physically, the list is still rolling mentally. And so, as in the eyes of a practitioner, anything difficult must be challenged. This obviously means daily naps, and pauses, and not getting done at work until an hour later because I actually took that lunch break instead of trying to eat and work (or work without the eating).

The Hammock, Gustave Courbet


My therapist says that our bodies always tell us the truth, and today my body said to me: "Siesta, Lacy." And so I did, and then, as I woke up from my nap, my body spoke again, saying "Thank you, friend." It's a really polite body when I treat it well.

So in the spirit of Siesta (and also perhaps because the free internet at my studio--I said that fun word on purpose--has disappeared), these next few days as I finish my Daily Practices paper, I will Siesta from this space. But when I return, I will be refreshed, with a paper behind me and more words to share than can fit in one post. Fifteen pages of writing will do that to you.

"Now, go take a nap." -your body

In Progress,
Lacy

No comments:

Post a Comment