Friday, May 13, 2011

A Lullaby For You, Tired One

I have been reading through the complines from the book Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings from the Northumbria Community pretty regularly for a while now (thank you Katie Jensen). At twenty four years old with an impossibly busy schedule and a perfectionist complex, I need nothing as much at the end of the day as I need to be put back in my place, realigned with my intention, nestled away in the assurance that I am small and God is not. (Side note: I almost said He, but then I would have most certainly been inclined to say He/She, but I chose to spare you the complication as well as to spare me the explanation. Conundrum averted!)

The word compline is derived from the Latin completorium; thus, compline signals the end of the day. Compline can be recognized as the final service of the day or simply the final prayer of the day, but either way it is always a time of peace and contemplation. The complines I follow are written prayers, a new one for each day of the week. Because of it's gentle nature, I like to think of it as a lullaby, because it just makes me feel safe, secure, and loved, and let's be honest, I waver a bit in those areas during the day. So, tonight, in the comfort of your covers, Friday's compline for you (taken from the the book mentioned above):
A memorial wall at Auschwitz, Poland, July 2008.



+ silently (sign of the cross)


O Lord, You will keep us safe 
and protect us forever.


I am placing my soul and my body
in Thy safe keeping this night, O God,
in Thy safe keeping, O Jesus Christ,
in Thy safe keeping, O Spirit of perfect truth.
The Three who would defend my cause
be keeping me this night from harm.


I call on You, O God,
for You will answer me;
give ear to me and hear my prayer.


Show the wonder of Your great love,
You who save by Your right hand
those who take refuge in You from their foes.


Keep me as the apple of Your eye;
hide me in the shadow of Your wings.


Lighten my darkness, Lord.
Let the light of Your presence
dispel the shadows of night.


Christ with me sleeping,
Christ with me waking,
Christ with me watching,
each day and each night.


Save us, Lord, while we are awake,
guard us while we are asleep;
that, awake, we may watch with Christ,
and, asleep, may rest in His peace.*              (*This is okay. Christ was indeed a boy!)

God with me protecting,
the Lord with me directing,
the Spirit with me strengthening
for ever and for evermore.


In the name of the Father precious,
and of the Spirit of healing balm.
In the name of the Lord Jesus,
I lay me down to rest.


The peace of all peace be mine this night
+in the name of the Father,
and of the Son,
and of the Holy Spirit.
Amen.


And the Mother, too.

In Progress and Goodnight,
Lacy

No comments:

Post a Comment