Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pose of the Day: Shoulder Stand

So I finally made it to the yoga class I plan to attend on a regular basis today, at least over my remaining months living in the 98118. An hour and a half of hatha yoga, left me informed, worn out, and feeling accomplished. There's something invigorating about going to yoga first thing in the morning (though I won't be going to the 6am class, mind you). Even if I am tired and it is raining as I leave, I walk to my car with an extra skip in my step. Maybe that's because today we got to do this:


Shoulder stand.
Something I just recently found out existed in yoga, but I had in fact been doing all my life for fun! Well, childhood that is. Perhaps it's been a few years since I last molded myself into this interesting pose. And I'm not sure how I ever even discovered it really. I feel like you could only come up with it out of pure boredom. But that pure boredom soon turns into pure excitement as you start to do something completely wacky.

Here's how it goes (taken from here):
____________________________________

How-to: Lie down on your back with arms alongside your body, and bring knees into your chest. With legs either bent or straight, lift your hips and reach your feet toward the floor behind your head. Interlace your fingers with arms straight on the ground, and squeeze your shoulder blades and elbows close together. Bend your elbows and support your middle back with your palms, fingers facing up. Either one at a time or together, lift your legs up vertical, gently pressing your knees and ankles together.


Tips:
 To lift your body more vertical, squeeze your ribs between your thumbs and forefingers, and gently lift your body up and forward. Use deep breaths to expand your chest and increase the distance between your shoulders and hips.

Benefits:
 Opens the neck and back. Good for circulation.
____________________________________ 

You can't resist, can you?

In Progress, Upside Down,
Lacy

No comments:

Post a Comment