Saturday, May 21, 2011

Worth Two Days... At Least!

So yes, I didn't blog yesterday. And yes, I did forget. And yes, I did actually remember when I was in bed with the light off already half asleep... and yes, I simply went to sleep.

But today... oh, today, was an ultimate day. Because I did something that takes at least a week for me to do regularly, and it's only for the purpose of getting here to there at those times. Today I went on a miniature pilgrimage, Spanish-style. In Seattle. My friend David had walked a part of the famous pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela a year ago, and as he was recollecting memories passed after a year gone by, he thought he might like to do a bit of walking to commemorate his time there. Knowing my interest in pilgrimage, he asked if I might like to go along.

Read about the pilgrimage here

I was intrigued and was immediately in, though he said that he was hoping to walk from his neighborhood, Magnolia, to West Seattle. It sounded really far... and it was. We left at 7am, stopped walking at 2pm, with only a tiny intermission for coffee at one of David's favorite spots along the way. But there's something so neat about walking endlessly--and I don't mean your average neighborhood walk. We noticed both things and people we never would have if we were in a car, and we weren't in any rush. Just on a pilgrimage of sorts to west Seattle. So how far did we walk, you ask? Drum roll please...

15 whopping miles. For  some reason David was thinking it would only be 6 1/2. At the end of the day I was certain it was at least 10. But it was 15. That's more than a 1/2 marathon! No bragging intended, I am just completely surprised, because we didn't really even know we were doing it! And who knows when that day will come again. My feet will tell me that answer tomorrow. 

After we decided to call it a day, we had celebratory fish and chips  and a drink as we waited for a bus that would take us a bus that would take us all the way back to David's house, where we had begun our day. And as a personal thank you to my feet, I bought this special treat on the way home to accompany my impending hot bath:

Photo from here.
And it was so, so lovely.

In Progress,
Lacy

No comments:

Post a Comment